This lil’ piggy’s back with another quick and easy backdrop in honor of Memorial Day. Do you remember the DIY Fiesta Yarn Garland I shared here a few weeks ago?
Or maybe you remember the DIY Fiesta Backdrop I shared for Cinco de Mayo here.
Today I’m repurposing the yarn to create a fun backdrop for Memorial Day.
- DIY Fiesta Yarn Garland
- DIY Printable Create-Your-Own 3D Stars Template
- 8.5″ x 11″ White Cardstock
- Adobe Reader (free download from www.adobe.com)
- 1/8″ Hole Punch
- Scoring blade or ink-less pen and ruler
- [Optional]: Plastic Yarn Needle or Paper Clip
1. Remove all of the yarn from the twine.
2. Group like colors together—red group, pink group, orange group, etc. You will only need the red and blue groups for this project.
3. Thread the blue and red groups back onto the twine.
4. Separate the red yarn into groups of 5-6 strands. Leave a space between each group to mimic the stripes of the American flag.
5. Create 5 stars by printing the first page of the DIY Printable Create-Your-Own 3D Stars Template on white cardstock and following the directions given with the template.
6. Punch 1/8″ holes in the top and bottom of each star (refer to photo above).
7. Thread the stars onto strands of the blue yarn to represent the 50 stars on an official American flag.
TA–DA! A fun way to honor the American flag and those who gave so much for our freedom!
I hope you’re inspired to honor the service men and women in your life this weekend. Have a safe and relaxing Memorial Day weekend!